Monday 24 March 2008

Schools out for Easter





Well it's the end of the first term of school for 2008, and Alex has finished his roughest school term yet! Have I done the right thing? Have I chosen a path for him that will mess up his entire future?
In the four years he was at a private Christian school he was sent to the sickbay once or twice, once was a wasp sting and a couple of other times were playground related. In the first term of a public state school he has been sent to the sickbay 5 times, all related to playground incidents, only one of which was his own fault. He now has a broken finger as a result of a football being kicked at him, he also had a lovely red mottled chest for a few days after another boy threw a rock at him.
Am I being too precious with my first born? Does this sort of thing make a man out of a boy? It worries me, it makes me want to whisk him back to his previous "safe" private school.
*sigh* He is also had the worst term academically, but I did expect this to happen with a change of school and all the stress it causes. I guess we shall batten down the hatches and walk into the next school term with a positive attitude (I think!)


I remember this quote and it is so apt
Having a child is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body. - Elizabeth Stone

1 comment:

Sue said...

What a fantastic quote. Yes, I imagine it must feel like that. Goodness, parenting - I think I managed to miss out on the best/hardest job in the entire world.

Give it another term. What does Flossie think?